Friday, July 25, 2008

Food for Less

I found this MSN article on Money Saving Mom. Like her, I got a chuckle out of the story, though I don't think it was supposed to be funny. The premise was, could a family of four eat on $100 a week, all three meals. I had to laugh. Even though there's only 3 of us, I only spend $40-60 a week at the store, don't go every week, and we eat pretty much every meal at home or brown-bag it to work and day care.

Granted, when I shop, I shop for bargains and I stock up. Then I plan my menus based on my pantry, not on shopping each week at the store. This, I think, is the biggest reason we're able to save money. It's much better to buy stuff on sale than to pay full price.

It made me wonder what she normally ate for meals, since the meals she described seemed pretty typical to me. Also it made me wonder, who is more typical: her or us "frugal" types? Anyone want to weigh in on either side? And if there's interest (or maybe even if there isn't!) I'm thinking of relating my weekly or semi-weekly shopping excursions.

No comments:

Post a Comment