Saturday, November 1, 2008

It's All About Me

One of the great benefits of our freedom is the responsibility that comes with it. Yes, responsibility is a benefit. It means we get to act like grown ups and make considered decisions and act on them. Which means educate yourself and vote.

In Indiana we get to vote early. In Arizona and California you could do this by mailing away for an absentee ballot and mailing it back in. But here you can go to the courthouse and use the little computerized thingies. We voted Friday (we meaning me and Sissy who was home from school sick) and waited about an hour. The computerized voting scares me a bit because the cynical part of me wonders if votes can get lost or manipulated. But then again, we don't have the hanging chad issue circa 2000. So, pick your controversy.

Regardless, get out of the house and vote. Because so few people actually vote, your vote matters and can make a difference. Be responsible for your own freedom.

I started to say sermon over but one thing has struck me recently. And that's how this election in particular seems to be run by selfishness. It's all about me and what I'm getting. Who's going to give me the biggest tax break, who's going to give me the most benefits? Nobody seems to be asking what's best for the country as a whole, or who's going to pay for all these potential benefits. Nothing's free.

Our pastor preached on something similar this weekend in relation to the church. We all want the benefit of church programs and great sermons and new buildings, but few people want to give of their time, talent, and resources.

Those two ideas collided and made me wonder how we became such a selfish people interested in what we can get for ourselves. My high school youth pastor used to call it "ingrown eyeballs."

I know we start out that way as kids--I'm constantly having to teach my children to share, look out for others, and give of themselves. It doesn't come naturally. Yet when Christ comes into our hearts our behavior needs to reflect that change of ownership.

Just something to think about.

Sermon over

No comments:

Post a Comment