Saturday, December 20, 2008

Ice, Ice Baby

I lived through my first ice storm.

And I guess it's not as bad as it could have been. Our power stayed on. I even drove to work, although if I hadn't had my new snow tires I couldn't have. It only took me an hour and a half! And having to concentrate hard on the road that long, in the dark, is exhausting. Don't really want to do that again any time soon.

Schools were closed so I took the kids to the sitter's house and when I got out I could hear tree branches snapping and falling all over the place. It was eerie, almost sounded like fireworks. Or gun shots.

Walking is interesting. There's a slick, glass-like layer on top that suddenly breaks through to the snow underneath. Watching Charlie, our black Lab, try to go outside was hysterical. He was sliding then falling through the ice. He kept looking at his feet like they were betraying him.

However, there were two pay offs. One, everything looks really pretty after the storm, all frosted in glass.







Two, my boss is friends with a former president. They're having dinner Monday night and my boss wanted a packet of information on some of our projects to take to him because he might be interested in doing something similar. So, in a couple of hours I got to write a letter, assemble a brochure (okay, make one!), bind it, burn some CDs of everything, etc. All while trying not to freak out realizing who was going to be reading this. I've never had anyone that important look at my work before.

And conversely, hoping I didn't make my company look bad. I mean, think of all the huge corporations that must pitch him all the time!

Anyhow, my boss was pleased with the end project so we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment