Friday, May 29, 2009

Closet Tales Part 2

I'm sure you all were just waiting for the next installment. And since I aim to please, here you are. And, not only am I going to show you how I did it, I'll show you how you can do it too.

First, here's how the area looked when I cleaned it all out. It's hard to tell without any references how big the area is, but it's about 6 feet wide and 10 feet tall.



Next, here are the tools you'll need for the job. Very basic stuff. Notice the cute helper. That's important. :)



The first step is to install the header rail across the top. Be sure to screw this into studs. Then you can attach the drop-down brackets. The kit includes some handy spacers that keep the rails exactly 24 inches apart. This is important if you plan to use any accessories like a cubbie or a basket because their hooks are set 24 inches apart.

Once you have your brackets in place, you screw them down and you should have something like this.



Really, if you've done your planning, the hardest part is done. You can now start installing your shelves and hanging bars based on where you've decided you need them.

Here's the top shelf installed, and my helper installing extension brackets. Since the brackets are only 4 feet long, if you have shelves that span a greater distance than that (and my 10 foot ceilings made that a given) you can get a nifty extension kit for your brackets.



Here's a few more shelves and hanging rods added.


Now with the accessories. I used the shoe cubbie to roll up my thin sweaters. The baskets hold my shorts and t-shirts.



And here's the finished product! Most people would have closet doors covering theirs. My won't since it's just attached to a wall in the room. But I kinda feel like I'm sleeping in a clothing boutique. Not the worst thing in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment