Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Worry=Imagination?

As a recovering worrier, I found this post by Thomas Nelson CEO Michael Hyatt intriguing. (Thanks to @pegrose for posting on Facebook!)

But it really makes sense. A good part of my worrying, particularly about people I love, is fueled by my crazy imagination. And a part of the way I write plot twists is to imagine what is the worst thing that could happen to my character right now.

I think it was Stephen King who said he takes real life situations and starts with "what if..." What if I dropped my daughter off at school and she never made it inside? What if the squeaky noise in my car is really evidence someone tampered with it?

In fact, a simple tire blow out (is there such a thing?) turned into a great idea for a plot point. I wrote about it here.

Okay, you can see pretty quickly how going down this road can give you an ulcer if you don't rein things in. Though it's definitely made me more cautious about things. Still cold shivers go up my spine when I start dwelling on things that could go wrong.

Great for plots, not so great for moms.

No comments:

Post a Comment