Friday, January 26, 2007

Tagged again

Michelle tagged me with six things that are weird about me. At first I had a hard time coming up with them. It’s hard to see yourself as weird. I mean, I’m sure plenty of people think I’m weird, but I just see me as me. But the more I thought about it, the more weird things I came up with. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. So, here goes.

1. Like Mich, I like raw potatoes. I guess this is weird because no one else I know likes them this way. But with salt, wow, yummy. We eat other veggies raw, why not potatoes? Actually I like nearly every veggie better raw.

2. I apparently have synthensia. All of my senses mesh together. Colors and shapes have taste. Squares are red Jello, rectangles are blueberry, triangles are lemon. And now my tongue feels like it’s been poked by said shapes. I also see music in color. In fact, I have to see the music in order to hear it. That probably doesn’t make much sense, but I know when I’m really tired and I’m not seeing the music in my head, I can’t hear it either. I can hear the notes but they don’t make any sense to me.

3. Which leads me to weirdness no. 3. I’m not sure if this is the cause or not, but I had scarlet fever when I was 8. Remember, it’s what made Mary blind in Little House on the Prairie? Actually, I think it was On the Banks of Plum Creek. Anyhow, I think/know it’s affected some of my nerves. In particular my vestibular mechanism is messed up. This is a ‘thing’ (technical term, I know) in your middle ear that regulates stimulus. (This is at least how I understand it. I could be wrong, I’m not a doctor.) It’s part of why I hate any roller coaster that uses centrifugal force. Like a Ferris Wheel. Or a merry-go-round. I can’t even watch them. I lose my sense of my place in space and start vomiting. Also can’t see laser light shows. No great loss there. Additionally, it doesn’t filter out enough stimulus. In a room with a lot of people talking like a party or a writers conference, I can’t filter out the individual with whom I’m talking. I hear everyone’s conversation and get overwhelmed and start shutting down. It’s so hard for me to just try and focus on what the person I’m talking to is saying. I just try to say, “Hmm” a lot. So if I do that to you, don’t be offended.

4. My fingernails routinely turn purple . . . My toes do too, More gray actually.

5. Like Mich, I have a birthmark on my left wrist that’s a good barometer of my mood, changing from purple to red.

6. I could never be a pill popper because I gag on pills. And if you watch me take them, you might gag too. It’s awful. And I have to take five pills each morning. Luckily they’re small. Still.

I came up with more than six things. Not sure if all of these are weird or what, but here you go.


I like knowing the endings of movies, but I hate knowing them in books.

Almost every joint is double jointed. And I can crack just about every one of them too. I sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies in the morning.

I’ve had 6 concussions and I don’t play football.

I’m afraid of kites. Okay really, it’s just heights.

I’m also claustrophobic. I hate having a pillow anywhere near close to covering my head. I have to be firmly on top of it. I also hate having the sheets tight around my legs, like if someone sits on the bed while I’m in it. Like my kids. Guaranteed to make me freak out.

I hate being cold.

I’m not going to tag anyone because I know y’all are busy. But feel free to tag yourself and put in the comments here so we can all go to your site and laugh at your weirdness. Um, celebrate your uniqueness? Yeah, that’s it.

5 comments:

  1. Well, there are a few differences (which is odd) I don't like salt on my raw veggies. Ick. Yuck. Gag. I don't have problems with pills, I'm not afraid of heights, kites, and I don't get dizzy--I absolutely love roller coasters!

    I forgot to mention the birth mark mood detector on my blog. I don't realize that's weird until someone gasps loudly asking if I've been burned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love raw veggies...except for potatoes. But I'll feast on uncooked pasta from time to time.
    So is it a game to get you as confused as possible at home with cacophony and 8 conversations at dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  3. (to the tune of Jimminy Cricket's "I'm No Fool")
    I'm not weird, no siree,
    I'm just plain ol' me me me
    Unless you count my ability
    to make up songs.

    I drive family and friends crazy because I hear music in my head all the time--nothing original, always someone else's composition--and make up my own lyrics. Oh, and I'm with Jen on the salt with raw potatoes--gotta have it. My mom used to give my sibs and me slices of raw potato when she was cooking to get us out of her hair. I also used to swipe raw french fries from my dad's restaurant kitchen and dose them with salt. Oh, yeah, I guess my fab nails might be a weirdness, too, but I like to think of them as a long term excuse for typos.
    Abundant blessings,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I drive family and friends crazy " - let's not go down that road! It isn't pretty scenery. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love salted raw potatoes, but can't eat them. They make my ears, throat and mouth itch. I can eat them cooked, though. I love bologna with peanut butter or fried. I eat my M & M's one at a time, cracking the candy coating off and letting the chocolate melt in my mouth. I love playing "war" with air-soft B - B's. My sons and I chase each other through the house shooting at each other. It hurts, but it's a lot of fun and the bruise goes away in a couple of days. LOL!

    ReplyDelete